Josh concentrates on complex, civil dispute resolution, particularly involving natural resources such as land and water. He also advises clients on environmental and natural resource issues in Oregon and California. Josh’s practice includes the representation of a federally recognized Indian tribe, providing a suite of general and special counsel services. Josh endeavors to keep his clients’ objectives top of mind and to develop efficient solutions to achieve those objectives.
- Representation of federally-recognized Indian tribes on a variety of matters, including trust litigation against the United States and enforcement of tribal treaty rights
- Representation of clients on various water law matters, including water right certification, water right transfers, and water right protests
- Representation of hydroelectric project owner regarding bond financing dispute
- Representation of landowners on Endangered Species Act issues
- Representation of landowners on a variety of real estate disputes, including easement and right-of-way disputes
- Representation of title companies with respect to title and escrow issues
- Representation of financial institutions on various issues including creditors’ rights
- Representation of Oregon community associations focusing on dispute resolution, creative problem solving, and governance issues
- Representation of Oregon attorneys in defending legal malpractice claims
Josh earned a B.S. in Forest Management from Oregon State University in 1995. He then attended Willamette University College of Law, receiving his J.D. in 1998.
- Member of the board of trustees for the High Desert Museum (Chair 2015 – present)
- Member of the board of directors for Economic Development for Central Oregon, Inc.
- Member of the Rotary Club of Greater Bend
- Admissions: Oregon State Bar (1998), State Bar of California (2014), United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, United States District Court for the District of Oregon, and United States Court of Federal Claims
- Former member of the Oregon New Lawyers Executive Committee (Chair 2007)
- Former member of the Oregon State Bar Legal Services Program Committee (Chair 2014)
Publications and Presentations
- Co-presenter, “Deschutes Basin Update,” Oregon Water Law Conference, The Seminar Group, Portland, Oregon, November 3, 2017
- Presenter, “Leadership,” NALS of Oregon, Kah-Nee-Ta, Warm Springs Reservation, Oregon, September 15, 2017
- Co-presenter, “Deschutes River Basin: Oregon Spotted Frog and Impact on Central Oregon,” The Mighty Columbia, The Seminar Group, Seattle, Washington, October 28, 2016
- Co-author, Amended and Supplemental Pleadings, OREGON CIVIL PLEADINGS AND PRACTICE 2012 Revision (OSB CLE)
- Co-author, Contracts Created by Agreement and Contracts Created by Operation of Law, CONTRACT LAW IN OREGON 2008 Supp. (OSB CLE)
- Co-author, Amended and Supplemental Pleadings, OREGON CIVIL PLEADINGS AND PRACTICE 2006 Revision (OSB CLE)
- Co-author, Contracts Created by Agreement and Contracts Created by Operation of Law, CONTRACT LAW IN OREGON 2003 Revision (OSB CLE)
- Co-author, Amended and Supplemental Pleadings, OREGON CIVIL PLEADINGS AND PRACTICE 2001 Supp. (OSB CLE)
- Best Lawyers in America – Commercial Litigation (2017)
- Central Oregon Legal Professionals – Boss of the Year (2006 – 07)
Josh joined the firm in 2000 after serving as a judicial clerk for the Honorable David V. Brewer at the Oregon Court of Appeals. He is married and has two sons. He and his family regularly enjoy many of the outdoor activities that Central Oregon offers, including mountain biking, running, and hunting.