As an associate working in Karnopp Petersen’s Business Department, Nathan’s practice centered on serving and advising Indian Tribes, individuals, and businesses of all sizes on issues related to mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, securities, corporate governance, real estate, and regulatory compliance.
In that context, he works with clients in a variety of industries including timber and wood products, ranching and agriculture, energy, and manufacturing. Nathan also routinely assists clients with the resolution of legal disputes related to those areas of law. Nathan previously worked for a large regional firm in New Orleans, Louisiana, where his practice was centered on admiralty and maritime law, commercial litigation, and business transactions. In that position he gained significant litigation experience representing shipping companies, maritime employers, and businesses before state and federal courts, administrative agencies, and arbitral tribunals. In addition, Nathan regularly helped clients with negotiating and drafting complex master service agreements, equipment leases, international sales agreements, and supplier contracts on behalf of transportation, oil and gas, construction, and design-build manufacturing clients.
Nathan’s mix of transactional and litigation experience enable him to accurately asses and evaluate risks, and deliver practical, results-oriented advice. His international background gives him the ability to be a resource for clients looking to or currently doing business in foreign markets as well. Nathan recognizes that the practice of law is, at its core, about providing a service and enjoys collaborating with clients to develop an approach to their particular issue that fits their specific needs, tolerance for risk, and strategic goals.
Professional and Community Activities
Nathan is a member of the Oregon and Louisiana state bar associations, the Oregon chapter of the, Federal Bar Association, and the Bend chapter of Oregon Hunters Association.
Outside of the office, Nathan also enjoys playing golf, fishing, hunting, snowboarding, camping and hiking with his wife and young daughter.
- Tulane University Law School, LL.M. in Admiralty with distinction (2011)
- Studies in EU Trade Law & EU Competition Law, Trinity College, Cambridge University
- Edward A. Dodd Jr. Award (awarded to student graduating first in LL.M. class)
- Willamette University College of Law, J.D. magna cum laude (2010)
- Extern for the Honorable Thomas A. Balmer, Oregon Supreme Court
- Willamette Law Review, Symposium Editor
- Moot Court Board, Order of the Barristers
- University of Oregon, B.A. Political Science (2006)
Admitted to Practice
- Oregon (all state and federal courts)
- Louisiana (all state and federal courts)