Business 2020 Executive Breakfast
Karnopp Petersen hosted its fifth Business 20/20 Executive Breakfast, Tomorrow’s Landscape.
Karnopp Petersen Moves
Karnopp Petersen Moves to 360 SW Bond Street, Suite 400 Bend, OR 97702
James E Petersen
Jim Petersen retires from Karnopp Petersen after 33 years.
Business 20/20 Executive Breakfast
Karnopp Petersen hosts its inaugural Business 20/20 Executive Breakfast Seminar, Access to Capital, at the Tower Theatre.
Jim Noteboom passes away suddenly from acute leukemia. He is survived by his, wife, 3 children and six grand-children.
Fish Accords Agreement
The Warm Springs Tribes signed the Columbia Basin Fish Accords with the Federal Government in May of 2008. The Accords reconciled the Endangered Species Act and the Tribes’ Treaty rights and turned long-time courtroom adversaries into partners in Columbia Basin salmon restoration. Tribal attorney, John Ogan , under the leadership of the Tribal Council, was the lead negotiator in a two year process that resulted in agreement on how dams would be operated and also provided
Happy Birthday Bend!
Bend celebrates 100 years.
Bend’s first film festival takes place.
The Crane Shed Building, which was built in 1937 is demolished.
Newly renovated Tower Theatre reopens.
Renovation of the Tower Theatre began.
Oregon State University-Cascades begins offering classes.
Bend population is 52,029.
Deschutes River Conservancy
The Deschutes River Conservancy is founded. Karnopp Petersen Partner, Jim Noteboom, was one of the founding members.
Bend Brewing Company
Bend Brewing Company is founded.
The Old Mill
The Old Mill District, undergoes significant development after Bill Smith, President of William Smith Properties, purchased the 270 acre parcel that parallels the Deschutes River. The three signature smokestacks and nine historically renovated buildings still are present on the property today. William Smith Properties and its partners also restored 14,000 lineal feet of the river area, which had been off limits to the public for close to 80 years. The banks were blown out to
Population of Bend is 30,630.
Dennis Hubel Becomes Federal Magistrate Judge
Karnopp Petersen attorney, Dennis Hubel, departs in 1995 to become a Federal Magistrate Judge for the United States District Court for the District of Oregon .
Crown Pacific shuts down mill (Brooks-Scanlon). 90 out of 130 become unemployed.
Tower Theatre closed due to mounting signs of aging.
Crown Pacific Mill
Due to the diminishing supply of timber supplies in the area the last large log goes through Crown Pacific Mill. Crown Pacific shuts down four months later.
First ever tax exempt bonds for tribes
Karnopp Petersen successfully represents The Confederated Tribes of Warm Springs Reservation of Oregon in attaining the first ever public offering of tax exempt bonds by an Indian tribe.
Dedication of Newberry National Monument.
Shevlin-Hixon Lumber Company’s trestle across the Deschutes River to the mill site is torn down.
Population of Bend is 20,469.
The Inn at Eagle Crest is built.
Bank of the Cascdes opens its fifth branch in the Eddie’s Corner Building.
Deschutes Brewery is established.
The Shevlin-Hixon Lumber Company Mill is torn down and burned.
High Desert Museum
The High Desert Museum is founded.
Deschutes Historical Museum
The Deschutes Historical Museum opens its doors in the Reed School in Downtown Bend.
Population of Bend is 17,910.
Owen Panner Becomes US District Judge
In 1980, nominated by President Jimmy Carter, Owen Panner departs to become a United States District Judge for Oregon.
Brook-Scanlon Lumber Company is absorbed in a merger by Diamond International. Diamond International later changes hands and becomes known as Crown Pacific Ltd.
Population of Deschutes County exceeds 50,000.
James E. Petersen
Jim Petersen joins Karnopp Petersen LLP.
Bank of the Cascades
Bank of the Cascades builds bank at the corner of Third Street and Revere Avenue.
Jim D. Noteboom
Jim D. Noteboom joins Karnopp Petersen and dedicates his career to representing The Confederate Tribes of the Warm Springs Reservation of Oregon.
Deschutes County Historical Society is established.
McQuinn Strip Boundary Dispute
1871 to 1972
In 1972, with the help of Owen Panner and Dennis Karnopp, the McQuinn Strip Boundary Dispute was resolved with a passage of Public Law 92-427. This passage restored rightful ownership of 61,1360 acres that had been in Mt. Hood and Willamette National Forest.
Dennis Karnopp joins Karnopp Petersen as an Associate Attorney.
Wagners Market opens at Third Street and Revere Avenue.
Twenty-two astronauts are trained in Central Oregon for the upcoming Moon Landings. Local training sites included Lava Butte, Lava River Cave, and Newberry Crater.
John D. Gray, founder of Omark Industries, and Donald V. McCallum, a Portland attorney, announced their plan to build a gem among resorts and hotels in Oregon. They gave this resort the name Sunriver to reflect the most characteristic features of the area.
NASA Astronauts arrive in Central Oregon for training.
Derrick Cave is used for experiments in NASA’s planning of the Moon Landings.
Six local caves and four local buildings are selected as Civil Defense shelters for 7,646 people.
In the spring of 1962, a 140-acre tract of land on the west side of Awbrey Butte was donated for the purposes of establishing COCC’s main campus. Two additional smaller purchases increased the new COCC campus to a total of 193 acres that face a spectacular view of Oregon’s Cascade mountain range. Construction began in 1963.
Population of Bend is 11,936.
KGRL radio goes on the air.
It is decided that the Air Defense Filter Center on Wall Street will close on 1/31/1959.
The last Brooks-Scanlon Lumber Mill horses are replaced by crane.
The Three Sisters Wilderness area is established.
Brooks-Scanlon Lumber Company runs its last log train.
First dial phones become available in Bend.
Mitchell Oregon Flood Trial
Since its founding, Mitchell, OR has experienced three catastrophic flash floods along Bridge Creek, which runs through the center of the city. Flooding caused great damage to the city in 1884 and 1904. The third flood occurred on July 13th 1956, shortly after an intense thunderstorm in the hills to the South. Total damage from the flood, which also caused extensive damage to crops and roads in a nearby valley, was $709,000. Owen Panner and Roy Kilpatrick successfully represented
5-Spot, the last Brooks-Scanlon steam locomotive is sold.
USAF Ground Observer Corps Central Oregon Filter Center opens at 537 Wall Street. The observation post was originally on top of The O’Kane Building.
Fort Benham constructed for the filming of the movie Indian Fighter starring Kirk Douglas.
The Confederate Tribes of the Warms Springs Reservation of Oregon
The Confederated Tribes of the Warm Springs Reservation of Oregon becomes a client of Panner and McKay. Karnopp Petersen LLP still represents The Confederated Tribes of the Warm Springs Reservation of Oregon today.
Robert Sawyer sells the Bend Bulletin to Robert Chandler.
The Shevlin-Hixon Lumber Company is purchased by Brooks-Scanlon Lumber Company.
Owen Panner enters into partnership with Duncan McKay. The Law Firm of Panner and Mckay is established.
Population of Bend 11,407.
Central Oregon Community College’s (COCC) first classes are held at Bend Senior High School.
City of Bend
The City of Bend installs nearly 400 parking meters.
Pine Tavern reopens after a major renovation/expansion. The expansion enclosed two gigantic Ponderosa Pines in the dining room. Those Pine trees are still present in the dining room today, creating a unique experience for diners.
United Airlines starts air service from Redmond.
Brooks-Scanlon camp moved to Sisters from Bull Springs area.
Sterling log trucks purchased by Brooks-Scanlon Lumber Company. At this time the railroads were still being used for long hauls to the mill.
After the end of the war in Europe, Camp Abbot is abandoned. Area now known as Sunriver.
First gasoline power saws used by Brooks-Scanlon Lumber Company in woods for bucking logs.
Hill timber purchased by Brooks-Scanlon, 30,000 acres to be acquired in last large block of Bend cutting circle.
Army field hospital set-up in Bend at the Southwest corner of 8th Street and Greenwood Avenue.
Eastside USO Club opens for black troops at 136 Greenwood Avenue.
Camp Abbot officially opens under the command of Col. Frank S. Besson.
United Services Organziation (USO) Club opens at 912 Wall Street in Downtown Bend.
Brooks-Scanlon’s camp is moved from China Hat area to Bull Flats over the new rail line.
Thousands of troops and vehicles travel through Bend on their way South to maneuvers.
Redmond Airfield Construction starts as part of the area’s defense network.
Official opening of the new courthouse in Bend.
Company I, 162nd Infantry National Guard Unit mobilized
PP&L installs generator in Brooks-Scanlon Mill to generate power for area. Brooks-Scanlon and Shevlin-Hixon begin to sell power to PPL Electric.
Construction of the new courthouse on Knoll Avenue commences.
Tower Theatre opens in Downtown Bend. First feature film shown was Four Wives.
Population of Bend is 10,021.
Log drive from Wickiup Reservoir to Bend begins. Shevlin-Hixon Lumber Company moves twenty-three million feet of timber to Benham Falls.
First commercial radio broadcast in Bend. At this time KBND was located in the Pilot Butte Inn.
Brooks-Scanlon Lumber Company’s Crane Shed on Arizona Avenue was constructed during the winter of 1937-1938.
Bend Garage opens a new building at the Northwest corner of Wall Street and Louisiana Avenue. The Bend Garage was previously located at the Northeast corner of Greenwood Avenue and Wall Street (also known as Eddie’s Corner).
One of Bend’s longest-standing restaurants, Pine Tavern, is founded by Maren Gribskov and Eleanor Bachen.
First commercial airline flight from Bend.
Black Butte Ranch
Stewart S. Lowery, a wealthy San Franciscan, established Black Butte Ranch.
Population of Bend is 8,848.
Co-founded with Harry A. (Ham) Miller, originally named Overturf, Davis, Miller Company.